Demesha Challenge Days 4 & 5 and Chasing Tennis Balls


THURSDAY (Day 4):

So Thursday was my first day with my bodybugg. It is such a cool little piece of technology. It has really helped me understand how interval training can go a lot further (concerning caloric burn) than endurance training. Both are good, but I am definitely going to try to do more interval training. On Thursday, I did 65 minutes on the elliptical at level 10 (out of 25). It sure did wipe me out. Demesha's challenge to work out 5 days this week has worn me out!! MY SHOULDERS WERE SWEATING! Seriously? How do you get sweaty shoulders? I hit my calorie expenditure target for the day...around 3700 calories...and enjoyed the new Harry Potter movie, which I enjoyed : )

FRIDAY (Day 5):

Friday, I lounged around all day because I have them off this summer. It has been so nice. I am going to be sad to go back to a 5 day work week. I went to the gym and did 60 minutes on the elliptical at level 10. My legs were seriously smoked from the day before, so I gave myself a 5 minute reward ; ) As I was on the elliptical, another girl got on and started working out. She was overweight too, and was taking quite a few breaks. I just kinda welled up. I understood how she was feeling. It wasn't even 4 weeks ago that I couldn't do but 20 minutes on the elliptical. I wanted to say something encouraging to her, but I didn't want her to notice that I had seen her struggling. As it was, I just smiled and kept going. I know I might have been a little weirded out if someone had said something to me in the gym like that. It's still bothering me though, maybe I should have said something. Finding the courage to go to the gym and struggle in front of people is such a brave thing and something to be proud of. Next time I see her, I'll be sure to say something.

So...I had only done 60 minutes and I was feeling guilty for my 5 minute reward. This little contraption that is in the corner started calling to me: The Summit Trainer (imagine an elliptical mixed with a stairclimber from HELL)..."Just 5 minutes, Valerie...you can do 5 minutes...come on!" So begrudgingly, I climbled on...which was a feat enough in itself...I was way up in the air. And I started going...OH-MY-GOSH-OUCH!!! I made it five minutes, then it was kind enough to offer me a cool-down...uh, no thank you. I got home and Jamie asked me how my work out was, I said "Stick me on a spit...I have roasted thighs." Wow did that hurt!

Later that day, I felt bad because I hadn't hit 10000 steps, so I hiked up to the water tower on the mountain I live on. That did it! I hit my calorie expenditure for the day AND my total number of steps! I got home and was exhausted. Jamie insisted that I go ahead and eat dinner because I was no where near my calorie intake for the day...BAD IDEA. I was soooo sick. I blew it on my calories that day, I had a 2,995 calorie deficit...very bad. I just couldn't hold any food down. It reminded me of contestants losing it all on the Biggest Loser...no fun. Let's hope that I don't have that problem again for a while. I had a bowl of sherbert and went to bed.

SATURDAY:

Was supposed to be my day off...but NO WAY! I wanted to go go go...my bodybugg was "bugging" me. After Jamie and I had a heated game of Monopoly out on the deck (in the BEAUTIFUL) weather, we went and played tennis for about an hour and a half...of course we spent more time chasing the ball than hitting it. We are both a little out of practice, but I loved it! I played tennis for 11 years when I was younger and I realized yesterday that I want to start playing again. I think I may join a tennis team or something. Not only is it great stress relief, but it is also great built in interval training. I was burning calories like a furnace until 1 a.m. last night.

The Demesha Challenge has been great for me. I have learned a lot about myself and I am working on a blog for tomorrow that will explain all I have learned in a week (and let me tell you...it is huge). Thank you, Demesha. You have really made a change in me this week.

4 comments:

Lindsay & Ed said...

Just wanted to make a quick post and say you're amazing!!! Thanks for the inspiration this morning...after reading this I was so motivated, I jumped on my elliptical for 1 hour!!!! I've NEVER done that - I really pushed myself and kept saying "If Valerie can do it, so can I!!" Thanks again - you're awesome!
~Lindsay

Anonymous said...

All I have to say is , HARRY POTTER MAKING PINCHERS NEAR HIS FACE BEFORE THE LIQUID LUCK WORE OFF.... bah hahaha! Or how about Luna's LION costume....so cute....LOL!!!!!

I am so proud of you and your work outs. I have to admit I am a bit intimidated by all you girls though! Your work outs AND your VERBAGE is so HIGH TECH! ;) Mine...I get on a mchine, any machine, for 30 minutes and that is what I do. I want to LEARN! = )

Mesha said...

i love you Valerie and I am so glad to experience this change with you. YOU make ME feel proud for you AND myself. :) i've never thought it was possible to be an encouragement to others when I'm as overweight as I am...but I'm glad to have stepped out on a limb to see that positive self-esteem building in your life. my challenge to you is for YOU to be that one who "step out on a limb" to encourage someone else this week who you may not know. that girl in the gym...hunt her down like a lion does prey...lol...you've got a gift stored up inside of you honey and it's the drive and determination to really succeed on this journey. Fan the flame, it's contagious and others out there need to catch on fire too. I LOVE YOU SIS!!! ((hugs))

Mesha said...

"Stick me on a spit...I have roasted thighs." Wow did that hurt!

oh yea, and i thought that comment was HILARIOUS!!!