Every Step Gets Stronger

Some days I draw inspiration from other people's blogs that are going through the same process as I. Yesterday, I was poking around Kristin Steede's site (from last season of The Biggest Loser: http://www.kristinsteede.com/) and she had burned 900 calories in her workout. On average, I burn around 345, which isn't too bad, but isn't blowing up the charts either. I read a couple of other blogs of folks I have met from Kristin's site (in particular Demesha: http://rebornwright.blogspot.com/ and Alexis: http://losinglex.blogspot.com/) and there seemed to be a theme of pushing yourself harder than you think you can possibly push.

Yesterday I went to the gym with the mindset of "I AM GOING TO STAY HERE UNTIL I BURN 900 CALORIES." I started out by walking a mile, did the elliptical, and then walked another mile. All in all, I burned 875 calories...at least (and I am sure I knocked out the remaining 25 on the walk back to my car). I got into my car and just sat there for a minute. Then the tears started coming down my face. Why was I crying? I had just had a great workout and could go home and relax with Jamie and the puppies...what was wrong? Then it dawned on me...I was crying because I was proud of myself for the first time in a VERY long time. Legitimately proud from my toes to the ends of my hair. I was so astonished that I had let myself go that long without patting myself on the back and telling myself "I am proud of you."

I am doing this. I am actually doing this. That last mile I felt like I had fire for blood. This feeling is incredible and I am so happy to just let it wash over me as I feel each step I take getting stronger, each weight I lift getting lighter, each breath I take getting easier. I have learned not to fight it anymore. I have not given myself a way out or an excuse to quit...and for the first time in my life, it's working.

When I started this on June 1st, 2009, I could barely walk one lap around a track without being in serious pain from shin splints and my knees. I had to stop and stretch and rub my legs out before I kept on going. Yesterday...a month and 6 days from the 1st of June, I walked 2 miles and did 2 miles on the elliptical. I am getting stronger and I am proud of myself. I may actually do a marathon before all is said and done after all! In fact...I know I will.

3 comments:

Mesha said...

Valerie,

Can I just say I am SO proud of you! Way to go! I also saw Kristin's comment about burning the 900 calories and had to pretty much scoop my mouth from the floor. lol. I really don't know how many I burn to be honest, I should start watching that more.

It's like overnight, literally, overnight I am reading about a woman who is changed. Who is empowered. Who is strong and who is beautiful. Seriously, keep it up - I am totally encouraged. :)

((HUG))

Anonymous said...

Girl, I saw your comment on Kristin's blog, and had to come by and read. I am now a follower! I am praying for you, and I KNOW you can do this!! Every day you are one step closer! I dont even burn 900 calories in one workout! 700 is the most I have ever done really that I can remember!! SO YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!!! so proud of you!!!!

Leigh Ann said...

Wa-hoo!!!!! Congratulations!

Let me tell you about the best money I ever spent during all of the working out/training I've been doing. I spent about eighty bucks and bought a heart rate monitor. It's basically a strap that ties around my chest (where the elastic on a sports bra would go) and then a watch. The band beams my heart rate to my watch and it keeps track of not only my heart rate, averages and peaks, but it also counts the calories I burn during each workout. I LOVE it. It's been the best tool for evaluating how hard I'm working and how efficiently I'm working. I never exercise without it. It's what I use to train with because I can base my level of intensity on my heart rate. For example, I know that to sustain several miles of running, I have to be between 170 and 180 beats per minute. It's fantastic. It keeps me from overworking and keeps me motivated when I slow down. Plus, the satisfaction of seeing those calories burned at the end of my workout makes it all worthwhile! :)
I bought mine at Dick's in Cumming...there are all different brands with different bells and whistles, but it doesn't have to be a super big investment. Trust me, you'd love it!

So proud of you!!!